Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Our First Year

Summer is officially here. Normally I am not the biggest fan of Summer, this year is no exception. It has gotten hot already. The other day it was 91 degrees outside and 78 degrees inside my work. I really think my coworkers are secretly trying to kill me. I am trying to wear less and less to work, but a line has to be drawn somewhere. The only time I can really enjoy the heat is when I am near a cool body of water. Oh...I take that back. When I am at home there is a gorgeous pool staring right at me, but this pool belongs to my elderly neighbors and I have never ever seen anyone actually swimming in it. I have only seen Mr. Neighbor cleaning it, sometimes daily, but never swimming. This breaks my heart a little. Sometimes I think I hear the pool calling to me just to come over and feel the refreshment that it would provide, maybe that's just the voices in my head. Dave compares their pool to a formal parlor room in someone's house--the room that is always keep to the nines but that no one is allowed to actually sit or use. The jealousy from their pool makes me really really really want to go swimming. To add salt to my wound, I bought my first and only piece of maternity clothing so far--it was a maternity swim top.

This Sunday is our first wedding anniversary. We planned a last minute trip to leave town to just get away for the weekend. Dave was originally planning our anniversary festivities, but I busted his bubble when I found out that they were taking place at our house. My motivation to leave our house and to stay in a hotel is the pool. I need it to keep my sanity. His plan was really sweet and I felt guilty for ruining them, but we don't know when we'll be able to go out of town for fun next and thought we should take advantage of the opportunity. It will just be a little vacation but as long as there is a pool, Dave, our cake, and a bottle of sparkling grape juice, I think we'll have a great time.

Speaking of our anniversary, I CAN believe a year has gone by and I am surprised that so much has happened in the last 12 months. It has been a long year that has speed along at lightning fast speed. So much has happened this year; so much that I am very grateful for. Immediately following our wedding, we traveled outside of the country for the first time to the Dominican Republic. This was a fabulous trip and we had the best time, and it lit my fire for traveling. The August after our June wedding, we purchased our first home. At the time we had no idea that we were about to become homeowners, but we were both tired of our crappy little duplex with the series of bad neighbors, and I was tired of renting. We still have no regrets over our decision. The plan for our little house was to live here for 5-7 years and then move when we were ready to grow the family. Change of plans! Our first house will now be the home to our first child, and there are no regrets for that either. This year also involved Dave getting a nicer position at his long term job, which opened doors that we didn't realize would need opening. Dave also began working on his Masters degree. This means we don't have much free time together, but this will be such a benefit to carry to the future. The year has been full of blessings and I couldn't be more thankful. Over the past year my heart has been reconfirmed a million times that Dave was made for me, and for that, I am most grateful.

1 comment:

  1. How great that you have had such a blessed 1st year together! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete