Saturday, April 18, 2009

That wasn't so bad

Friday morning around 1 AM I woke up and had to pee, as usual. I was also having horrendous cramps, which was not usual. By 7 AM I was still having cramps and they had not gotten any better. Dave called the doctor's office and told the answering service what my symptoms were. In less than 10 minutes, Dr. Brody called me and told me from what I had said, it sounded like appendicitis. He asked if I could come to his office at 9. For about an hour I was thinking that I was about to lose an organ, and was wondering how the bean sprout was doing in there.

Once we got to the office, Dr. Brody started with an ultrasound. We saw the baby and heard the heartbeat, but also saw a large bubble. Dr. Brody said that it looked like my bladder was full, and I responded by telling him that it sure didn't feel like it was full. Then, for the first time, I saw a look of concern on his face. He made me pee and then drained the rest of what was in there (ouch!), and then still saw the same bubble in the next ultrasound. He determined that this had to be a very large cyst on my ovary, which needed to be removed immediately. If we didn't remove it, there was a possibility of losing the ovary. He told me that we would be going into surgery at 12. This was not how I expected my day would go.

Everything seemed to move so quickly, we went over to the hospital and registered and then we were put into a room where I was given this uber uncomfortable gown to wear made of paper, soon after all this I was in the "holding area" prepping to go into surgery. Everyone that I encountered acted too surprised that I was pregnant, which didn't ease my nerves any. I later found that that pregnant women are few and far between in the OR. I wasn't too nervous about any of this until I got back into the "holding area," and this is where I was hooked to the heart monitors and the repetitive beeping was driving me crazy, that and all the doctors and nurses were yelling back and forth at each other: "I need a CT scan STAT!" "IV in room 4." The room was very nerve wrecking. I was told by the anesthesiologist that I couldn't have the anxiety medicine medicine that normally calms you down before surgery since it was harmful to the baby. So I just laid there watching the clock count down to 12 and praying that Dr. Brody would show up sooner than later. There was this exceptionally sweet nurse who came in and asked if I wanted to bring Dave back to sit with me, she told me that they were making an exception for me since they couldn't sedate me. Oh, I was thankful for her!

Dr. Brody arrived a little after 12, and we quickly went back to the OR. My nerves were more calm after talking to him, and I was more than ready to get this all over with. I remember getting something shot into my IV and then breathing oxygen, and then waking up in the recovery room with a scratchy throat. I had another ultrasound in the recovery room and during it, the my nurse called all the other nurses in the room over to see the baby. It was kind of funny that I had around 7 nurses all packed into this little room closed off by sheet walls all to see my baby. I guess they weren't joking about not seeing pregnant women. I heard one of the nurses ask the heart rate, and the ultrasound tech said that it was 140 and then I hear "It's a boy!" (hehe...I hope she was right)

Around 4 PM I am headed out of recovery and back into my own room to see my family. Boy, was I happy to see them again. Dave told me that Dr. Brody showed him a couple of pictures of my cyst, that looked really neat (I can't wait to see them at my next appointment). He said that the cyst was around the size of a softball. I still can't fathom that, but I am happy that it's gone. I have 3 little incisions that are tender now, but should heal pretty quickly; and I can't even feel my ovary that has been cut on. After the surgery yesterday I was incredibly tired and slept most of the day, but today I feel quite a bit better and have more of an appetite, and tomorrow I should feel back to normal.

So over all, my first surgery wasn't too bad. And the baby and me are doing just fine, so there's not much more we could ask for.

I'll post a picture later to show the incisions. I know you're all dying to see them. ;)


  1. Girl that is so crazy. I am glad to hear that momma and baby are ok. Rachel
    hey have you ever visited my blog?

  2. Amazing. I am so glad everything turned out fine. I would have been a wreck!! I think a baby boy would suit you well (we will soon see :)). Best wishes!