Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Griffin's First Week in the World

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

This was quite the day for our new little family.  I felt like I was in the most surreal dream.  Griffin entered the world a pretty happy baby.  After his intial "hello" he slept for just about the entire day.  I'm assuming that it will be the only birthday that he sleeps through.

Griffin had lots and lots of visitors, and slept through being passed around.  We even had to take off his clothes and turn on all the lights to get him to eat.  Dave did a pretty good job of "waking the baby." 

We spent almost the entire day just staring at him, trying to soak in the reality of our new journey.

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Griffin surprised us by wanting to party all the previous night, so we were pretty tired on day two.  We didn't take advantage of the nursery like we were told; just assumed that we'd need the practice of waking up to a new alarm clock. 

We spent the day getting to know our new son.  We found out that he particularly likes to have his clothes ON and not off, and really likes to be swaddled up real tight.  Dave got pretty good swaddling, which ended up being rather beneficial. 

Griffin recieved his first shot and was quite the little trooper.  After just a couple of seconds of crying, he was back to his old, err...I mean new, self.  It was becoming more and more evident that we had a pretty good kid on our hands.

Friday, October 30, 2009

 Griffin had his hearing test extremely early that morning.  He passed with flying colors.  Then Dr. Brody came  to let us know that I was healing up great, and that we'd be ready to left by lunch time.  We were all really ready to go, as I believe the four walls surrounding us were starting to close in on us.  The pediatrician also came to let us know that Griffin was healthy enough to leave.  In just a few hours we were packing up the car and introducing Griffin to the big wide world outside of the hospital. 

Griffin's first stop was to meet my Nana, his Great Nana.  I promised her that she'd meet him as soon as we possibly could.  My Nana means the world to me, and introducing her to my new world was more precious than I ever could have imagined.

After this we took him home.  What we didn't realize was how we'd be going to a new home too.  The house that we lived in transformed the second that we walked in.  It's hard to describe the feeling that I felt, but it was the most emotional that I had felt through this entire process.  I think it had finally hit me that Griffin was mine.  He wasn't a baby at a hospital, he wasn't a growing fetus in my belly, he was our son.  The house that Dave and I lived in turned into the home for our little family.  And it was time for me to learn to be his mom. 

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Griffin's first Halloween.  It wasn't too eventful.  He wore his skeleton costume and got played with by Jack and Lucy.  He doesn't realize how much fun Halloween is going to be next year.  Pops and Nana came over to help us hand out candy to the, oh, six trick-or-treaters.  

*Note: I did not paint Griffin for Halloween; I merely photo-edited his costume to be more elaborate.

Sunday. November 1, 2009

This was more of an eventful day.  Griffin had his first bath and first walk.  I wouldn't say that he necessarily enjoyed his first bath, but he really seemed to like the walk around the neighborhood.   During the walk we stopped by our neighbors Adam and Mandie's house to meet their little Emilie.  I have a feeling that he and Emilie will be playing before I know it.  I should probably add here that not only was this Griffin's first bath, but also Dave and my first time giving a baby a bath.  I think we did alright. 

Monday, November 2, 2009
Griffin had his first doctor's appointment where he met his pediatrician, who told us that Griffin was perfect.  This was obviously what we were hoping to hear.  Griffin weighed 7 lbs even at this appointment, up from 6 lb 6 oz at discharge from the hospital.  On the way to the doctor we learned that Griffin loves to be in his carseat/carrier and falls fast asleep in the car (just like his mom). 

The doctor told us to get lots of tummy time in; so that's exactly what we did when we got home.  Griffin's new best friend, Jack tried to help, but it didn't seem to ease his agony any.  After all the hard work Griffin decided to take a nap with Jack.  Turns out that Jack makes a great pillow.

Tuesday, November 3, 2009
We decided to relax after an eventful few days.  Although Griffin did help Dave clean the kitchen.

In just a week's time we watched Griffin go through so many changes.  We watched his eyes change color everyday.  We saw his beautiful eyes open for longer periods of time.  We heard a million different noises, which I'm pretty sure are reminiscent of a baby terodactyl.  We're pretty sure that he likes us already.  And I can guarantee you that we love our little Griffin more and more and more every single day.

1 comment: